Wednesday, April 13, 2011

    The Art of the "No Spill"

    Meet My Dad
    My dad will be turning 70 this August. His dream birthday gift for the big day is a skydiving package. In this photograph, you are witnessing extreme dedication. Not spilling the beer was quite an accomplishment. To my dad, cracking three ribs in the process was a minor detail.

    Upon reflection of childhood I've come to realize a few things. I've learned, un-learned and even re-learned a great deal. On the subject of parents and parenting, my current mental status is this-BE THERE. Everyone wants to know the magic equation to perfect parenting and I can assure you that there is none. Showing up and being present is the biggest accomplishment any parent can do for a child. When I say "Be There", I mean that in more than just a physical from. Actively being there is a whole different ball game. Sitting in the same room watching tv and talking on your phone DOES NOT COUNT.
    Nearly all kids go through a phase in their life where they believe their parents to be the most embarrassing creatures on the planet. Actually, for some kids this travels with them into adulthood. Anyways, my point is this...what once existed as an embarrassing moment will almost always transform into a funny memory when revisited later. To clarify, embarrassing and humiliating are also, two very different things. If you're in the third grade and your naked dad is standing on the front porch watering flowers when the school bus drops you off, you're in the "Humiliating" category. Mind you, this is not me speaking from personal experience. Although, stranger things have happened and I can actually say that they all make me chuckle now. On the flip end, if you're reciting lame jokes to the impatient cashier and laughing hysterically at yourself all the while doing so,  you're in the "Embarrassing", but ultimately safe category. Yes, you're kid is probably hiding behind the gum ball machine praying to be put up for adoption, but rest assured that they will come around. One day they might even *gulp* take on some of those embarrassing habits.

    Never stop being the you that makes you, you. Ya know? I can't imagine how lame my childhood memories would be without the weirdness of my family. Embarrassing, strange, odd, weird, dysfunctional...these words are what great lives are made of. Well, those words and a whole lot of LOVE.

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    The only guy I know that could have a spot on "Scarred" after a few volleys on the tennis court.

    Midget Extraordinaire said...

    My mom once got on top of a table and stripped because she thought a spider was on her. Oh yes, did I mention that I was having a party and all of my 7th grade friends were present. Awesome. LOL

    Carma Bland said...

    Amanda, that is more than fantastic. Happenings such as this one are a sure way to remain a permanent part of ones memory bank. Wish I had known you in the 7th grade. Lol. Good share :)